Frequently Asked Questions

How do I transfer my CCA classes to other universities?

You will need to request that a UMass transcript be sent to your intended institution. You can learn more about how to do that below:

UMass Amherst: How to request official transcripts
UMass Dartmouth: Transcripts
UMass Lowell: The solution center - transcripts

Are CCA courses transferable to other colleges or universities after graduation or do they only count at UMass?

Yes! CCA courses are transferable to other Massachusetts public college and universities with a grade of C or better. We cannot guarantee that independent or out of state universities will accept all CCA classes; transfer credit acceptance policies vary by institution. We recommend speaking to an admissions counselor at the university you are planning on attending to find out if your CCA classes will be accepted.  

I am interested in something other than the pathways offered at my high school. Should I still think about CCA?

While earning credit towards your intended major is an important component of early college programs there are so many additional benefits. These include-gaining confidence, building a peer network, expanding the courses that are available to you in high school, and to help you to think about what you want to study in college. 

What is a pathway?

A pathway is a guided sequence of courses intended to help you get exposure to different areas of studies and careers. It can help you select a major in college.  

What kinds of classes and pathways does CCA offer?

CCA offers many different pathways in Liberal Arts, Education, the Arts, Health, Business, Engineering and other STEM fields The courses we offer depend on the pathways offered at your high school. Please talk to your school counselor or the early college counselor at your school to learn more about the CCA pathways available at your high school. 

I am a high school administrator interested in working with CCA. Who do I contact?

Please email CCA Director Kate Copans to discuss if your high school is eligible to join the program. We would love to hear from you. 

What if I need extra help in my CCA class?

We can help you! CCA students have the support of their UMass professor, a high school teacher or staff member supporting them in the course, as well as academic support services like tutoring, which are available to all UMass students. Your high school teacher, school counselor, and college professor can connect you with resources to support your success in early college classes. Everyone is invested in your success in early college classes. 

What is it like to take a college course in high school?

College classes may not necessarily be more difficult, but they can be different from your typical high school classes. College classes generally require the student to be more independent and take more responsibility in their own learning than a high school class. Students should have good attendance, come to class on time, prepared, and ready to participate.   

Are CCA classes actual UMass classes?

Yes! CCA courses are offered through either UMass Dartmouth, UMass Lowell, or UMass Amherst and are taught by UMass faculty. You will earn college credit that can be used towards both your high school and college requirements.   

How do I sign up for CCA?

Talk to your school counselor or the early college coordinator at your high school. Your counselor can let you know if you are a good fit for the program and can support you in the enrollment process. 

How much does it cost to take CCA classes?

CCA classes are FREE to participating high school students. There is no cost to students or families for tuition, books, or transportation.